North Louisiana Geocaching Community

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching

Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11790

I have been playing around with another great free portable app called IcoFX. The program will allow you to design or import your own picture, that will then turn it into a computer file icon.

After is had been turned into an .ico file, you can associate it with a file on your computer, to give it that icon. The ico files have several different sizes of the icons in each one, that shows on your screen up depending on which one you are utilizing  It beats looking at the same old vanilla folder icon, that most files have associated with them.

Anyhow, I have made a small library of about 10 file icons that would be geocaching/benchmarking related. You may want these icons, so you can snazz up your folders a little, and to make it easier at a glance to see what file you want. You can easily see where you have put files for the surrounding states, LA state park challenge, benchmarks, Delorme, gps, etc.

I will post a tutorial on how to change your file icons, in the next section. I will also upload the ones I have made so far...... which is:

1. LA State flag. parks, and Delorme
2. Arkansas State flag
3. Mississippi State flag
4. Benchmarks
5. Nuvi (or gps unit)
6. Gc.com
7. Iphone
8. Ammo can (my favorite)

Here is a screenshot of the file icons on a computer screen: Let me know what you think. I can do custom requests, and will probably make all the local geocaching organizations icons next.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11792

OK, Joe got the icon file placed on our download section. You can click on the 'downloads' link on the left-hand side of the main page, or click here:

http://www.nelageo.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl

1. You will download the 'geocachingicon' file and save it to your computer (just remember where you save it at)

2. Ok, here is one way to change your file folder icon (on a Windows XP computer)

A: Find the file, you want to change the icon for. Most of the ones you have created yourself will look similar to the ones below.

B: Now, right-click your mouse on the file folder icon you want to change. You will then left-click the properties option

C: Now on the window that pops up showing the properties of the file, click on the "customize" tab at the top. You should now have a screen similar to the one below:

D: Click on the 'change icon' button at the bottom. You computer will open a window showing you where  most or your system icon files are located. You want to hit the "browse" button and navigate to where you saved the geocachingicon library downloaded in step 1 above.

1. Your computer will be searching for .ico files, so you may have to change it to find "all files" in the drop-down box that shows types of files. Once you see your "geocachingicon" library file, just doubleclick on it to open it up. Now you will see the 10 icons. Select the one you want to use by highlighting it, then click OK and OK again.

You should now have changed your file icon.

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11797

two thumbs up!  Love it.

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11805

two thumbs up!  Love it.

Thanks, and for your encouragement, I made your avatar into a file icon. I just emailed it to you.

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11822

I'm definitely going to spend some time with this. Besides the refreshing visual impact, I can use it at work to speed things along. Now that I changed jobs, I spend about 95% of my day at the keyboard. Speed is good.
"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we haven't forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood." Carl Sagan

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11848

It works well. The Microsoft-supplied selection, although helpful, is woefully inadequate. Did you buy the creation software or track down a shareware version? I definitely want to pursue this further.
"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we haven't forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood." Carl Sagan

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 6 years, 9 months ago #11849

It works well. The Microsoft-supplied selection, although helpful, is woefully inadequate. Did you buy the creation software or track down a shareware version? I definitely want to pursue this further.

I used IcoFX, which is freeware: Reading the tutorial section here, helps out a lot. Also I found out it's better to use a larger pic, and let the program scale it down, than it is to use a small pic and try to make it bigger, to fill up the pallette when you are designing one.

http://icofx.ro/

If you are using portable apps (on your portable usb drive), there is a free version of icofx for it too (if you want to take it back and forth between your work and home computers)

http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/icofx_portable

There are also many free websites that have computer icons for download in the .ico format. That's actually where I got the state flags and iphone one from. You can just do a google search for "free computer icons" and get a lot of hits like this.

http://www.iconspedia.com

Hope this helps

Re: Computer file icons --- changing for geocaching 4 months, 1 week ago #16814

Looks like I need to update this tutorial, as the linked file is no longer there after the server move. Also need to update windows 10 stuff. IcoFX also doesn't appear to be freeware any more either, but the portable edition may still be.

Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by LSUFan.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds