(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: One of My Favorite Virtuals needs some repairs

One of My Favorite Virtuals needs some repairs 3 years, 5 months ago #15902

Article in today's News Star

Voodoo priestess’ tomb gets a makeover in pink

By Richard A. Webster

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS — Doz­ens of tourists in St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 gathered around the tomb of Marie Laveau as tour guide Re­nee Dodge explained the mysterious history of the famed Voodoo queen.

But most had one question on their minds: Why was the tomb paint­ed bright pink?

In mid-December, in the middle of the night, someone sneaked into the cemetery and painted the tomb, Dodge said, but she didn’t think the per­son had malicious intent.

“The person really came in to paint over the thousands of thousands of “X”’s all over this tomb,” she said. “That’s the real desecration.”

Decades ago, someone started a rumor that if people wanted the 19th century voodoo priestess to grant them a wish, they had to draw an “X’’ on Laveau’s tomb, turn around three times, knock on the tomb, yell out their wish, and if it was granted, come back, circle their “X,” and leave Laveau an offering, Dodge said. “I’ll tell, you, I don’t have a problem with it being painted pink,” she said. “I have a problem with it being paint.”

Whoever painted the tomb used latex paint, which does not breathe and traps in moisture which is “the single big­gest threat to the surviv­al of these brick-and­mortar tombs,” Dodge said.

The vandal also paint­ed the marble tablet on the face of the tomb with white paint. That is dam­aging because marble is soft, porous, and fragile, Dodge said.

The nonprofit organi­zation SaveOurCemeter­ies has been in contact with several restoration companies about remov­ing the pink-and-white paint, Dodge said. The Archdiocese of New Orleans oversees the cemeteries, but the majority of the tombs are individually owned by families responsible for their maintenance and upkeep. Many of the fam­ilies, however, left the re­gion or died off decades ago, leaving the tombs untended.

"Don't write anything you can phone. Don't phone anything you can talk. Don't talk anything you can whisper. Don't whisper anything you can smile. Don't smile anything you can nod. Don't nod anything you can wink." Earl Long

Re: One of My Favorite Virtuals needs some repairs 3 years, 5 months ago #15904

Well, that bites.

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds