North Louisiana Geocaching Community

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

distance chart
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: distance chart

distance chart 2 years, 3 months ago #16234

Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by Blue Canary.

Re: distance chart 2 years, 3 months ago #16235

I was doing some measuring yesterday for a possible new cache and ran into this new feature. It seems like a good idea, especially when using the satellite option.
"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we haven't forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood." Carl Sagan

Re: distance chart 2 years, 3 months ago #16236

Years go we had a lady cacher that loved to place power trails up near Jefferson Texas. We noticed that with a trail of 20 caches or so that there would be some missing in the number scheme.

I later spoke to her at an event and come to find that she would place a cache, then get in her car and watch the odometer until it clocked over to the next 1/10th of a mile. She would then stop and place another geocache. Some of the roads were twisty logging roads in hilly country. It never dawned on her that the locations were closer than 528 feet as the crow flies. Thus some were never published because of proximity issues.

My understanding is that the 1/10th of a mile rule started with problems they had in calculating travel bug distance. They eventually fixed the travel bug calculation software problem , but kept the rule.

I have a couple of caches that I own that barely are more than 528 feet apart. I do admit that when you are one and see the other one down the road that they are very close.

Re: distance chart 2 years, 3 months ago #16237

Back in my early cache-placing times, I placed one in the French Quarter without realizing that it was too close to an existing virtual. MountainMan questioned it, asking if the route between them exceeded 528 feet. It did, and Menu Venue still exists today. I used that precedent once or twice afterwards when I wanted to take advantage of an exceedingly good hiding spot. But that was back in the days of far less caching activity. In these times, the notion would probably get swept away without a thought.
"For all its material advantages, the sedentary life has left us edgy, unfulfilled. Even after 400 generations in villages and cities, we haven't forgotten. The open road still softly calls, like a nearly forgotten song of childhood." Carl Sagan

Re: distance chart 2 years, 3 months ago #16238

Once in a while I get a log saying my cache had a wet log or some other issue. I go there and everything is OK. Usually I find that they logged the wrong cache. They probably found a cache nearby and went back to their car to log the find and then got the next closest cache up on their cell phone or GPSR and logged it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.20 seconds