North Louisiana Geocaching Community

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 2 weeks ago #16771

Why is Rice-A-Roni the San Francisco treat?

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 2 weeks ago #16772

rice made by pasta company from San Francisco

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 2 weeks ago #16773

That is correct. It's the San Francisco Treat because that's where it originated and was made.

In 1895, Italian-born immigrant Domenico ("Charlie") DeDomenico moved to California, where he set up a fresh produce store. A successful businessman, he married Maria Ferrigno from Salerno, Italy. Back home, her family owned a pasta factory, so in 1912 she persuaded him to set up a similar business in the Mission District of San Francisco. The enterprise became known as Gragnano Products, Inc. It delivered pasta to Italian stores and restaurants in the area.

Domenico's sons, Paskey, Vince (1915–2007), Tom, and Anthony, worked with him. In 1934, Paskey changed the name to Golden Grain Macaroni Company. Inspired by the pilaf recipe she received from Mrs. Pailadzo Captanian, Tom's wife, Lois, created a dish of rice and macaroni, which she served at a family dinner. In 1958, Vince invented Rice-A-Roni by adding a dry chicken soup mix to rice and macaroni. It was introduced in 1958 in the Northwestern United States and went nationwide four years later. Because of its origins, it was called "The San Francisco Treat!".

More reading

www.npr.org/2008/07/31/93067862/birth-of...menian-italian-treat

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 1 week ago #16776

Why does everyone reading this, owe their ability to go geocaching (and their lives) to a Russian submariner, who at the age of 34 in the year 1962, basically saved the world?

Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by LSUFan.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 1 week ago #16777

: Vasili Arkhipoy

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 7 months, 1 week ago #16778

Yep, that would be him. It may scare you to find out just how close WW III actually did come....and how this one man staved it off.

More reading on this, and his picture is below. Look at him admiringly, as the fact you are reading this is in no small part due to him.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/o...-stopped-nuclear-war

phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2016/03...ur-life-to-this-man/

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208342...-Missile-Crisis.html

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 6 months, 2 weeks ago #16788

During World War II, who was the first POW (Prisoner of War) taken captive by the United States, and where did it happen?

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 6 months, 1 week ago #16789

Kazuo Sakamaki is supposed to be the first Japanese, but I don't know if he was the first anywhere. Considering the circumstances I expect he was number 1
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by Blue Canary.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 6 months, 1 week ago #16790

That would be him, and he was captured in Hawaii, on December 8, 1941, being the only surviving crew member of five midget submarines the Japanese set to attack Pearl Harbor. Here are more details:

When the Japanese launched their surprise attack against Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Japanese imperial navy used midget submarines to lead the assault against American naval installations. Sakamaki was one of five officers who set forth in five midget submarines ready, indeed eager, to die for the glory of his country in the attack on Pearl Harbor. Each submarine carried two persons each was 74 feet long, weighed 30 tons, had a maximum speed of 24 knots and a cruising range of about 400 miles, and was equipped with radio transmitters and two bow torpedoes.

Sakamaki trained long and hard for what he sincerely believed was his date with destiny. He studied at the naval academy, learned to fly at Kasumigatura, practiced seamanship aboard the training ship Abukuma and underwent special training at Chujo Bay, which closely resembles Pearl Harbor. He was commissioned a sub-lieutenant. He recalled vividly how his midget submarine was launched from its "hanger" on the afterdeck of a mother submarine off Pearl Harbor on the moonlight night of Dec. 6. He was 23 years old then. His orders read to coordinate an underwater attack with the aerial bombardment of Pearl Harbor. He was instructed to attack, in order, aircraft carriers, battleships, and heavy cruisers. The instructions said that he should rendezvous after the attack at point 7 off Lanai Island. But he knew that was only a formality. All were expected to die for their country.

"I said good-bye to the captain of the mother sub and 10 minutes later we surfaced so that we could enter our midget submarines," he said. "It was then I got a nasty shock. My gyrocompass was out of commission. Why, I don't know. There was no time for repairs. After consulting the captain, I decided to attempt to make the journey anyway." Without the gyrocompass, Sakamaki said he found his craft almost unnavigable and unmaneuverable. "But I finally got to the entrance to Pearl Harbor just before 7 a.m.," he said. "We were to attack at 7:50." For the next three hours, he said, he "hung around" Pearl Harbor trying to make repairs and trying to find a target.

Several times he surfaced and was depth-charged. He saw several small craft — mine sweepers and destroyers — but he wanted to save his torpedoes for bigger game. Through his periscope he saw columns of smoke rising over the harbor. The midget submarine grounded several times on reefs. Bilge water spread to the battery racks and deadly gases began to fill the submarine. Depth charges rocked in. Their senses dulled, Sakamaki and his fellow crewman, Petty Officer Kiyoshi Inazaki, decided to try to make Lanai. Then the ship grounded for the 10th and last time.

Sakamaki swam for the shore of what he thought was Lanai. His companion drowned. Collapsing on the shore, Sakamaki remembered nothing until he was shaken by an American soldier pointing a pistol at him, he had been traveling in circles and was back on Oahu. "I was terribly ashamed," Sakamaki said. "I asked for an opportunity to die an honorable death, but they just laughed at me."

The commanders and crewmen of the other midget submarines were lost and were enshrined by the Japanese as "war Gods" soon after Pearl Harbor Day. The Japanese made no mention that Sakamaki had fallen into American hands. Sakamaki became the first Japanese prisoner of war in American captivity during World War II and was stricken from Japanese records and officially ceased to exist. His submarine was captured intact and was subsequently taken on tours across the United States as a means of encouraging the purchase of war bonds.

Although initially wanting to commit suicide in shame for being captured, he gradually developed a more positive outlook as he spent the entire war in various POW camps in Wisconsin, Tennessee, Louisiana, and Texas. After the war's end, Sakamaki returned to his home in Japan, soon married, and started a job in the Nagoya area at Toyota Motor Corporation.

Soon after Sakamaki's return to Japan, he wrote his memoirs in Japanese entitled Four Years as Prisoner of War Number One. Tsutae Nara presented Sakamaki's story many times when visiting the US to speak at YMCAs, churches, and schools. Persuaded by American friends to publish an English translation of Sakamaki's memoir, Nara contacted Sakamaki to get his agreement. Nara arranged for a translator and also obtained additional information for the English book from Sakamaki regarding his naval training and his opinions about present-day Japan. The Association Press, publisher for the International Committee of Young Men's Christian Associations (YMCAs), released the English book entitled I Attacked Pearl Harbor in 1949. The book has never been reprinted, making it difficult today to obtain a copy.

If you would like to see Sakamaki's midget submarine, it's actually not that far away. It is on display at the National Museum of the Pacific War, in Fredericksburg Texas.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_K%C5%8D-hy%...teki-class_submarine

Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by LSUFan.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 5 months, 2 weeks ago #16793

My mother and oldest sister both attended school in Oark, Arkansas. Oark has a claim to fame of having the oldest operating store in Arkansas (1890), and you can still eat there. This store is over 125 years old.

www.oarkgeneralstore.com/our-story.html

However, on our last trip there recently, we learned Oark also has another claim to fame, and this claim is over 300 years old. Can you name it?

Hint: It's not an inanimate object, and is living.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 5 months, 2 weeks ago #16794

Red Oak Tree

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 4 months, 2 weeks ago #16804

Yep, This majestic Northern Red Oak is the centerpiece of the Oark School Campus. It has been dated to be 320 years old.

Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by LSUFan.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 4 months, 2 weeks ago #16805

When you think of the "mafia", you envision places like Chicago or New York. However the U.S. mafia got it's real start in another city. Can you name this place?

Hint #1. It's around the time of the US Civil War.

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 4 months, 2 weeks ago #16806

?New Orleans?

Re: Trivia Questions: increase your knowledge 4 months, 2 weeks ago #16807

Yes, it is the Big Easy. They had a show on television about it.

This timeline link will show you how it's all in New Orleans to begin with. Some may say it still is.

mafiahistory.us/maf-chr1.html

Due to this, New Orleans also gets another record. A mafia faction there had the police chief murdered in 1890. After nine of the men were acquitted or a mistrial declared, a mob formed featuring many of the prominent citizens of the New orleans, who stormed the jail and lynched 11 suspect mafia members who took part in the murder of the police chief.

It was the largest mass lynching in US history.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_lynchings

Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by LSUFan.
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds